Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happy Endings


It didn't seem all that long ago that I worried I'd never get married. I had failed relationship after failed relationship. It was especially difficult at times when I met someone I seemed to mesh well with but things just didn't work out. Or I thought I was a good match for someone who didn't feel the same way about me. Still, in their own timeframe, things worked out. Despite the challenges we had early on in our marriage, we are strong and deeply in love. I ran across this story I wrote about Joe on MySpace back in August of 2006 (I have changed it very slightly). Joe and I were still friends, but we weren't dating at the time, but I knew he was special anyway.

------------

About 2 years ago, I started talking more one-on-one with someone. We'd met in an online community, and we found that we had a lot in common. Of course, he had interests that didn't really interest me, such as video games, Japanimation, and cars, but the way he talked about ANYTHING didn't bore me. He was an amazing listener, and I just always felt so at ease with him. I'd sit in my LoveSac with my webcam turned on and talk to him on the phone for hours. It'd feel like only minutes had gone by, and I gladly gave up a lot of sleep for that pleasure.

Before long, we arranged a meeting. I'd never been to Washington, so I decided I'd visit him and make it a nice excuse for a vacation, regardless of how things turned out (yes, I took precautions). My plane landed, and when I saw him at the airport, I wanted to puke on my shoes out of nervous anticipation.

The drive to his mother's house was nice, and she greeted me warmly with a delicious toasted turkey, avocado, and pesto sandwich (which I'd never had before but is now one of my favorites!). The three of us chatted, and then he showed me to the room where I would be sleeping (yes, I stayed at his mother's house).

The two of us continued to chat, and he pleasantly surprised me by telling me that he really wanted to kiss me. I believe "okay" was my delighted response, and so we did. It was magical. We kissed a bit and talked a bunch, and he eventually excused himself to make the drive to his place for the night as I settled in, already dreaming of him even though I was wide awake.

Over the course of my stay, we had the opportunity to kiss much more, fog up car windows, chat endlessly, enjoy the beauty of Washington, and enjoy each other's company. I met many of his family members. I mean siblings, nieces and nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, the whole nine yards. I felt like I'd found a place I could call home. I felt like I somehow belonged with the group of strangers who were not strange or intimidating at all to me (which is weird because I'm so shy at times that people just think I'm stuck up).

In thinking back over the course of that trip, there wasn't necessarily one favorite time we shared together. I mean, I really enjoyed exploring the science museum (geeky of me, but true), being held in his strong arms as I looked in awe at the view of Seattle's city lights below the Space Needle and then kissing him as we stood above the city, walking on the downtown city streets, driving through the parts of town where he grew up, hanging at a family birthday celebration, dancing to horrible music together, making out, dining at his favorite Teriyaki restaurant, listening to his mixed CDs in the car as we ventured from place to place, attending church together, and enjoying the sight, smell, and feel of Snoqualmie Falls together. I enjoyed every minute of my trip and still cherish those memories made during that time. As he dropped me off at the airport, he gave me a small "gift." Although it may be weird to many, it was and still is very cherished to me.

As I waited in the airport to board the plane back home, I wrote in my journal about our time together. I wrote about my feelings, my dreams, and the peace and joy I felt. I will never forget that weekend. Or that wonderful man. We still talk. I still adore him.

I guess this explains why I'm so optimistic about everything, despite all that I've experienced (or maybe because of it). I do believe in happy endings. I do believe that I can feel this way again in my life and build a wonderful life with a fabulous partner by my side every step of the way. I don't care if it's considered too "Hollywood" or unrealistic for some. It's out there. He's out there. We'll find each other, or I'll die trying. And I will NEVER, EVER feel the need to "settle."

------------

I'm glad Joe finally came to his senses! I never did find anyone who compared to him or who made me feel the way I felt being around him or even talking to him from afar. Shortly after writing this, we reignited our relationship and it continued to grow and grow. He made a trip to Arizona to meet my family and to see me after all that time (it had been about 2 years since my trip to Washington) and proposed on the last day of his trip. And so when I left Arizona to move to Washington, I was a happily engaged woman and soon afterward married the love of my life. I love our story. And I love being in love with my best friend.

3 comments:

BeatlesDiva said...

I feel that same way, that I'll never get married. Your story give me hope!

Carrissa Hellewell said...

Cute! Thanks for sharing. It was sweet :)

Debra said...

Glad to hear it, Nicole!