Sunday, August 17, 2008

Happy Sunday (misc. ramblings)

Today Joe and I got to sleep in. It was fabulous! I woke up several times over the course of the night, but I have no problem going right back to bed.

It has been hot the last couple days and sometimes a fan just doesn't cool you enough. It's amazing the temperature difference in our house from the first floor to the second floor on days like this. Last night Joe said that he wanted to buy an air conditioning unit one of these days so we have it handy for those handful of days each year when it would actually be used.

I woke up around 7 am but quickly went back to bed, only to be woken up again around 8:45 by my cell phone ringing. "Hi. My name is Mark and I'm with Dur Heck TV. I'm at your house. Is anyone home?" This is super annoying. So I told him that I am home (we didn't hear the door over the noise of the fan & air purifier in our room) but that I'd already cancelled this appointment... more than once. He said he'd let the company know and that was that. Then a few minutes later I got a call from a woman with Dur Heck TV (although the name of the company she gave me was something I hadn't heard before) confirming I do want to cancel this apointment. I told her yes and the call was ended.

You see, an hour or so after Thursday's debacle, I received an automated call telling me Dur Heck TV would be here on Sunday between x-and-x time to complete the installation. Apparently the system rescheduled the appointment for today. So, the automated message told me to "press 3" to cancel the appointment. So I did and had to talk to someone (and then someone else and then someone else) to get it cancelled and get the money I'd already paid refunded to me. I thought it was finally taken care of, and Joe even let me know that the money had indeed been refunded to our bank account.

I should've guessed when I got all the paperwork in the mail from them welcoming me that something wasn't right. But I figured maybe it'd been sent out before that call. GRRR. And Jest also dropped off some sort of installation disk at our front door on Friday (and I got some welcome mail from them too), which now has me questioning whether or not they really cancelled things on their end also. I really hope this is over now. It's so annoying.

So when we moved here, we got various little "gifts" for our house. We received a small package from the local country club inviting us to join and giving us a free round of golf for 2 and a complementary lunch dinner (up to $50 in value) at the lounge or restaurant. Yesterday we decided to take them up on their offer for the free food and dressed up nice (because it was a fun excuse to do so) to go there. The food was so-so, but the dinner cost us a $10 tip and nothing more, so that was nice. There was also a pretty nice view of part of the course and a live band performing in a nearby room to entertain us while we ate. We also got to check out some really nice cars right outside since they had a car show going on at the same time we were there.

After eating, we had a little time to kill, so we headed to Fred Meyer's to see if they had received any more boxes of the entry bench we wanted to get. We'd gotten a rain-check from when it was on sale but in our multiple return visits to the store, we still were unable to pick it up. So they called another Fred Meyer store that wasn't too far away and had them hold one for us.

Then we headed to the nearby $2 theater to catch a movie. When we arrived, it was just past the time the movie was listed as starting (previews anyway). We took a look at the line of people waiting to get in and changed our minds about seeing a movie there. Instead, we decided to drive to the other Fred Meyer store to pick up the entry bench. Afterwards, while driving home, we decided to swing by the grocery store and pick up a "few" groceries. By the time we got home, it was fairly late, so we watched an episode of 24 and then went to bed.

Those are the kind of "date nights" we usually have. We may go out to eat, or we may stay in to eat, but they seem to more often than not end in us watching a movie or something at home. Guess we just like our home sweet home.

No comments: