Monday, February 23, 2009


Last week was a very long week. I had been sick up until about Monday, just in time to pick up some overtime/holiday pay.

I normally have Mondays off, but because I've missed about 3 weeks off work since late January from being sick and for my mental health, I decided I needed some overtime to make up for lost wages.

So I volunteered to pick up a shift on President's Day. That was the holiday, right? I don't even know any more. Joe had to work too.

So I hung in there all week long, even though it was hard to, because I wanted to make sure I made that Monday sacrifice worth it. I worked 48 hours but because of the way I'm getting paid, it's like getting paid for 60 hours of work. Score!

By the time Saturday came around, I was feeling emotionally dead on my feet (or really on my butt, since I sit at a computer all day), but Saturday was a really good day at work. I talked to a lot of really motivated people, and I felt good about the work I did.

Sometimes I hated my job working with adults with serious mental illnesses, because it seemed like I was putting in all this hard work and there wasn't anything to show for it. Sometimes this job feels the same way. Saturday, it didn't.

Joe and I celebrated Valentine's Day together with a trip to The Cheesecake Factory. Then we went to a furniture outlet store nearby to look at tables for our dining room. I am embarrassed to have someone over for dinner and have them sit at my puny table, so it'll be a nice change when we eventually do have a table that seats more than 4 people, and comfortably at that. I do plan on inviting people over for dinner then (I'm already forming a mental list).

Friday was another doctor's appointment. It was just a follow-up appointment from my appointment 4 weeks ago to make sure I was doing better. Well, I am doing better, just not 100%. I think that the discrepancies between where I am and where I want to be can be explained, however. My doctor did recommend scheduling an appointment with my OBGYN, which I plan on doing (I actually planned on doing it on Friday, but I didn't get around to it).

And yesterday as I was slowly waking up for the day (I LOVE that!), I FINALLY felt really motivated to just eat healthier and exercise more. I don't know why, but I'm taking advantage of it while it lasts. I had oatmeal for breakfast yesterday instead of the frozen waffles and applesauce or pancakes and syrup I was originally thinking about having. And after church, Joe and I enjoyed some salmon and rice-- it was quite good.

So I'm hoping this is the start of something that lasts and is good for me physically and emotionally. Maybe after I lose some weight my body will respond and I can get pregnant. Maybe my periods will start becoming more normal and I won't have to stress about that so much either. Maybe that's a lot to ask for, but today I'm optimistic. Finally.


Travers Family said...

Hope I'm on your "mental" list. Thanks for the fun on Sat. You're awesome!

McKnights said...

I am so glad to hear that you are finally starting to feel better. We will continue to pray for you and your health.