Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolutions

I am always hesitant to set resolutions for the new year because I don't want to fail and it seems like they are always broken. But I do it anyway. In 2008, I started working on some of my goals as the year progressed. I met some of my goals like buying a house and getting a job but I didn't meet some like losing weight and getting pregnant (which in my mind go hand in hand). And I have other goals I'm still working on that I've made progress toward accomplishing, like making friends and becoming more involved at church.

So, I'm going to continue to work on those things I've already started working on. I'm going to get my butt back in gear with going to Curves. I'm going to go 3 days a week. And on top of working out (because that alone wasn't helping me lose weight, which is why it got easy for me to get discouraged and stop going to the gym- combined with some injuries I've experienced), I'm going to walk at least 60 minutes a day, at least 3 days a week. I would say every day, but 3 days a week is a good place to start. I will lose 5 pounds and 3 inches in January.

I'm also trying to change the way I look at food. I have been "rewarding" or "treating" myself with chocolate because I'm addicted to it. But is it really a "reward" or a "treat" if I have it all the time? Does something stay a special benefit, or does it become part of a routine when you do it every day or almost every day? Maybe if I work out my 3 days a week and do my walking 3 days a week I'll reward myself with some chocolate. And maybe I'll cut down the other food-related rewards.

Plus, I think part of my problem has been the way I look at food. I eat according to my mood. I WISH I was one of those people who didn't eat when I was feeling stressed, because I would probably be at my target weight already if that were the case. Anyway, I shouldn't eat something because I am in the mood for it as much as I should eat to give my body nutrients it needs. Menu planning, which I recently started, is already helping out with this. We had a healthy dinner last night that I really wasn't necessarily in the mood for, but I felt full after eating it, and that's what eating should be all about.

I also always have goals related to my spirituality, and those goals are always renewed each year. The biggest thing I have been noticing is when I'm prepared for church, I get so much more out of it. I am not always good at it, but I try to read ahead of time for lessons in Relief Society, and I need to add to that reading ahead for Sunday school. I get some LDS Living emails with Sunday lesson helps, and I've decided that instead of deleting them like I have been since getting them that I'll use them to help me get ready for church.

Do you do resolutions? If so, what are yours?

(I'm also considering watching The Biggest Loser, which I've never done before, because maybe that'll help me stay motivated and possibly inspire me. We'll see)

2 comments:

The McKnights said...

I think that new year's resoultions are highly over rated. I have set goals every year but I never seem to do very well at them. If I had more support I might be better at them. I am at the point that I don't what to set them becuase I have to see what I did do all year.

I realize that I am no one to give advise on weight lose, but because I love you and want to help support you in this goal I called one of Joe's sisters who has lost 150+ pounds with weight watchers. Some things we talked about:

Setting smaller goals(Like your small monthly goal) These are easier to meet and when you do you fell good about what you have done.

Food should never be used as a reward- this goes for people of all ages. Yet almost every parent will potty train with candy.

Diets dont work for most people- telling someone they can't have something can lead to them wanting it more. It needs to be about what you eat, how often you eat, how much you eat, and why you eat.
Dont deprive yourself of anything, just control your intake of it. (You like chocolate- have it but control how much you have. Also there are ways to have better chocolates. Have you tried the Weight Watcher candies? Or Sugar free chocolates? Joe likes them.

One thing she shared that she learned is that if you have a weakness for something dont bring it into your home. She shared how someone's weakness was potato chips. She could eat the big bag all at once if it was in the house. She quit buying chips but when the craving hits she would go to Circle K buy the bag and eat the chips there. Soon she found she was eating less and less of the chips. Maybe this might work for you and chocolate.

She also said that you cant be afarid to try new things. I have tasted some of her new treats and they are as good as the orignal, just healthier. For example she mixes 7 oz of pumpkin wtih a box of brownie mix and bakes them.

I asked her if I could share her e-mail address with you and she said that would be fine. If you would like it let me know and I will e-mail it to you. I was thinking that you might be able to find some help and tips from her. If nothing else maybe get some receipes for treats.

Love you,
Emily

Anonymous said...

The only New Year's resolution I ever kept was when I resolved to make no more New Year's resolutions.

Have you tried Hershey's Special Dark chocolate? I find that just a few bites really satisfies my craving.

(Hi, I'm Jahn and I'm a chocoholic....)