Monday, January 12, 2009

"What kind of neighborhood do you live in?"

Saturday, I was working and heard a noise outside. Being curious, I looked out the window and saw 2 people riding on a motorcycle on the sidewalk toward my mailbox. They stopped briefly at my mailbox, opened it up, took out my Netflix movie that I was returning, shut my mailbox, and rode off. I tried to get the license plate number, but I couldn't see it at all. And in looking at that, I missed details the police asked me, like what color the bike was, what color their clothes were, and what color their helmets were. I was just in shock that it happened. I had tried to open my window to yell at them, but I didn't even have time to get that open before they were gone.

So, yeah, I called the police. They came and took my statement (I didn't have much to tell) and gave me a case #. I decided to drive around the neighborhood to see if I could find them (I figured it was a very low chance, but I wanted to try, because it didn't seem like the cops would try). So when I got in my car, it was probably about 15 minutes or more since it happened. I stopped when I saw a neighbor's flag up. I figured I should tell them what happened to me so they could check to see if their mail was still in the box. A sweet older woman opened the door and we got to talking. She gave me her name and phone number in case I need anything, and in talking, I found out she was getting rid of some books. She gave them all to me. There are some books I'll give away, but there are at least a few that interest me and maybe even a few that'll interest Joe.

Netflix was cool about the whole thing. I called to report the missing DVD, and they said they weren't going to charge me for the movie. They have already sent a DVD to replace it, which is nice.

I had to stop working early to talk to the cops, but since it didn't take too long to deal with that, it was a nice time to relax before my company's holiday party Saturday night. I went with my friend Stacy and we had a good time. The food was nice and there were some friendly folks at the table.

It was such a weird day. I keep thinking, "Did I really see that, or was it a dream?" I guess it's time to buy a locked mailbox!

No comments: