Thursday, November 13, 2008

Irregularity and other such blatherings

***YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS FIRST PARAGRAPH. IT'S JUST RANTING ABOUT FEMALE ISSUES***
So, maybe I just have an irregular cycle now. Maybe I have a fallopian tube issue. It seems like the have-a-period, skip-a-period cycle is here to stay. Every month is frustrating. How many times do I have to take pregnancy tests "just in case" anyway? I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant right now, yet I haven't had my period since September (like you care, right? lol). Ever since I started tracking them online at My Monthly Cycles, I'm seeing a pattern emerging. Maybe this is the new norm for me. It'd be nice to figure out what all this is about, though. For about a month now, I've been weighing myself almost daily, at the same time each day. When I gained about 5 pounds from one day to the next, I figured it must be water-weight and that'd mean my period was coming. That was about a week ago. Ugh. Not ever knowing when I might start really sucks.

***IT IS SAFE TO JOIN IN NOW***
So, last night was the Enrichment Holiday Dinner. I received a call about an hour before I was supposed to head to the church to start setting up. It was the Relief Society President. She had asked me when we were setting up and said she'd be there to help. She also told me that the Enrichment Counselor in the presidency wouldn't be able to make it because she was sick. That was the woman who was planning on decorating, bringing the food, etc. I heard she would send her husband with everything, but I didn't know how to take over. I'm NOT good at either of those things.

I drove to her house to get the green beans so I could get them ready for the night. She handed me canned green beans (I have always preferred frozen, but after tasting them last night, I might have to change my ways-- they were yummy! Maybe I just did a great job adding salt and butter, lol), and I figured, 'Okay, I shouldn't have any problems with this.' I called my mom just to verify how to prepare canned green beans, since I've never done that before. Quit laughing at me. There were no directions on the can, and I didn't want to ruin the only vegetable we'd be having.

Joe, bless his heart, was trying hard to be very supportive. He was asking what he could do to help. You see, I had to take the bus to Seattle for work yesterday. And the buses don't run early enough to get me to work for 5:00 am, which is when my shift starts. So I had to flex my shift (start later, end later), plus add on the time on the bus and to-and-from the transit center, so I got home around 4:00 with a few details to iron out still. And I wanted the chance to relax just a little bit. Anyway, I got a little help from Joe (he printed directions for the place I was to pick up the green beans and then turned my flat-iron on while I drove to pick them up, plus he made some phone calls for me as I tried to track down a microphone) and lots of other help (THANK GOODNESS!). The Enrichment Counselor did show up to help set up and ended up staying.

The program was nice. There was lots of participation from people who attended, everyone loved the food, and we had everything clean well before 9:00 (past my bedtime). This was all good, since I had been getting a headache all day that I was worried was turning into a migraine. Well, it got a little better, but it's back (and worse) today. Why I'm writing this right now instead of trying to get some rest, I don't know.

Time to lie down. I was in the office yesterday to attend a training having to do with stress. And I've come to the conclusion that I'm sick today because my body has been in a chronic stress state. Now that the threat/alarm/stress has been managed (for now, until next week, I think), my immune system is kaput. I wouldn't be surprised if that has also at times played a role in my period mystery.

Oops. Sorry about the lack of warning there. :P

No comments: